We’re big animal lovers here at Rainstorm wines. Nature gave us the best gifts in pets – and in fine Oregon pinot gris or rosé wines in the summer! You know what else we think are cool? Exotic animals – the kind that make really good (and legal) pets.
If you’re interested in responsibly expanding your menagerie, consider these pets (while sipping your favorite Rainstorm wines, of course!):
- Hedgehog: Shy but curious, these guys and gals can be handled and played with – just be careful of their quills. They don’t shoot out like a porcupine’s, but they can hurt if you’re jabbed with one. Hedgies make for low-maintenance, fun pets that are great for careful kids.
- Silver fox: While the words “silver fox” typically bring George Clooney’s face to mind, the real silver fox is even cuter (sorry, George). These smart, beautiful creatures are bred specifically to be pet. Be forewarned, though. They may never be as domesticated as you like, and you will need a large outdoor space for them.
- Wallaroo: Ever heard of a wallaroo? We hadn’t either, until recently. These little marsupials are like miniature kangaroos. They can be quite shy, but once they trust you, they are affectionate and playful.
- Boa constrictor: If you don’t mind sharing your home with something long and slithery that enjoys strangling its victims, then a boa constrictor is for you. Be aware that these snakes can easily surpass 5 feet in length!
- Hyacinth macaw: These colorful birds are extremely affectionate and like to cuddle with their owners. How adorable is that? Plus, you can even teach it to say, “I love Oregon pinot gris!”
- Sugar glider: Sugar gliders are tiny marsupials, similar in size to hamsters. You can’t have just one – no really, you can’t. They live in colonies, and they can get sad and lonely if they’re left on their own. They love to be around people, and they’re playful, so they make great pets for families with older children or reliable people who can devote time and attention to them.
- Piranha: What hails from South America, has razor sharp little teeth, and is capable of devouring a small mammal? You guessed it, a piranha. If you have some as a pets, you won’t want to cuddle with them, but they are definitely cool to watch.
- Mini donkey: Mini donkeys may be roughly the size of a large dog (think Great Dane). Stubborn but loyal, these cute little guys and gals are very affectionate and need a large space to roam. If you’ve got a bit of land and plenty of love in your heart, a mini donkey makes an ideal pet.
- Axolotl: Once you figure out how to pronounce its name, the axolotl makes a great pet. It’s a type of salamander and – wait for it – it can regrow its own body parts. Wow!
- Bengal cat: Calling all cat lovers! Bengal cats are like mini tigers – beautiful, sleek, and 100% awesome. They’re also really high-energy, so if you plan to get a Bengal cat, make sure you’re prepared to keep it entertained.
Pets are a joy, and they make our lives more complete. If you are ready to open your home to an exotic pet, don’t forget to do your research – preferably with some Rainstorm wines on hand!