Hello, summer! We’ve missed you – and we’re determined to make the most of every second. Here are five free things to do in Portland that’ll scratch your itch for adventure, relaxation, and fun in the sun.
- Chef in the Market: Summer Saturday mornings mean one thing: farmer’s markets! But PSU Farmer’s Market isn’t just a foodie’s dream full of fresh produce. You can also take advantage of cooking demos from the area’s top chefs (and a sample of the day’s masterpiece). Stock up on ingredients, buy your favorite red, rose, or white wines from Oregon, and prepare a locally-sourced feast.
- Concerts and Movies in the Park: Looking for great entertainment? Portland Parks & Rec has your back. Enjoy free concerts and movies in the park all summer. From blues and indie to classics and new views, you’ll get your fill of excellent music and films.
- Portlandia Mermaid Parade: Have plans on July 28th? You do now. This is a family-friendly event that combines everything we love: mermaids, body-positivity, and a route along the Portland waterfront. Indulge in mythology and magic!
- Portland Festival Symphony: Introduce the kids to classical music; impress a date; enjoy your favorite Rainstorm wine and a picnic. Whatever your goal, you’ll accomplish it with help from world-class musicians and beautiful settings.
- PDX Adult Soapbox Derby: Kids, it’s time for the grownups to have some fun. The third Thursday in August, the Soapbox Derby pits homemade carts against twisty Mount Tabor. Gravity, and expletives, fuel the ride, so be prepared for hijinks and hilarity.
This is only the tip of the iceberg; there are tons of free things to do in Portland this summer. From bike rides and swims with the mayor to simple picnics with your favorite white wines from Oregon, we guarantee you will savor each second!