Austin, Texas may hold the title as the original “weird” city, but Portland has quickly gained notoriety as the weirdo on the West Coast – and we love it! Portland is home to all sorts of odd and awesome things, from shops and restaurants to local scenery and people. Of course, we’re also known for our fabulous Oregon wines (including Rainstorm wines, naturally), but there’s nothing weird about these – they’re just delicious!
Here’s why we’re okay with that adjective being bestowed on our fair city:
- The Naked Bike Ride: PDX is one of the few places on Earth where, once a year, you’ll find thousands of people riding their bicycles along a predetermined route WHILE COMPLETELY NAKED. Let us repeat that: everyone is completely naked. As in, zero clothes. On bikes. En mass. ‘Nuff said.
- The Horse Project: Do you like horses? How about tiny, colorful plastic horses tethered to rings scattered along city sidewalks? Well, we like them in Portland, and this is obvious by the hundreds of maned beauties you’ll find randomly throughout our city. Giddy up!
- The Giant Paul Bunyan Statue: Because who cares that he’s actually supposed to be from Michigan or Minnesota or some other M state? We love him in Portland!
- Hardcore Scooter Gangs: The Hells Angels they are not, but it would still take a brave soul to confront one of Portland’s notorious moped gangs. Groups such as the Twist n Play and the Moped Army regularly get together to terrorize the city compare paint jobs and putt around the city at about 43 mph, tops.
- The Peculiarium: Yes, we actually have an entire museum dedicated to the weird. Packed full of oddities like zombie brains and an alien surgery exhibit, this place is definitely bizarre but in a delightful way. And, it’s only $5 to get in. Unless you’re a dog or wearing a particularly spectacular costume, in which case admission is free!
We told you Portland was weird, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Of course, you’ll have to come out and see for yourself, and don’t forget to sample some delicious Oregon wines while you’re here! Rainstorm wines can be found all over the city, so stop into one of our weird bars or restaurants for a glass or five!